A standard Physical DB Designimplementation for BoM, Hierarchies, Dimensions.
(in development: the writing of a book for physical DB design by Huub Hillege)
The first physical implementation of hierarchy data levels were done via physical data-pointers in connecting the different levels for navigation through the ‘tree’ data-structure. Only possible was a vertically navigation with a mandatory start at the top (parent segment data) going down the hierarchy via physical pointers to the next lower level (child segment data). There were some major rules for building the hierarchy:
* A parent data segment could have many children.
* A child could have only 1 parent
* Only walk down the hierarchy via the data pointers.
NO Upward walk in the hierarchy.
– Companies have more then 1 BoM (hierarchies, DWH dimensions): solving e.g. Product, Geo, Organisation, Marketing, Business driver. Hierarchies, DWH dimensions are all variations of a BoM structure.
– Large multinational companies could have implemented > 20 hierarchies.
– Inside companies you don’t discover the same structure of tables/files implementation for a BoM. I experienced sometimes a variation from 6 to 20 tables/files depending of the level depth of the BoM inside one company.
– Even across different companies e.g. for the same Geo structure they you will see different physical implementations.
During 40+ years DBMS consultancy/designer at different compagnies I designed a general Physical implementation independent of the number/structure of BoM’s.
For a small amount of data, 10K rows, across the different levels/twigs, the model works fine: Good performance, flexible and the physical structure is independent by growing of the number of data rows.
– A company with thousands of rows in one or more BoM’s (hierarchies, dimensions) . Together we may implement my standard physical BoM design for new and/or existing hierarchies in the company..
– The content of the book will contain my standard model and the result of the actual implementation , accompanied with a lot af examples for the readers to implement and test the solution by themselves.
For more information , please go to the Contact Page (Tab on main menu) and fill in the form.
From this page you could use the link: Contact form link
I’m happy to find out if we could have a win-win situation.